Saturday, February 2, 2013

Fire!

Hey, how about an interesting topic! What is the difference between the log and the pieces of kindling?


Well I am glad you asked! One is easier to start a fire. And the answer is not the cat's tail. Well, from my observation, I would say the pile of kindling. Why is it that the kindling is easier to start? Just give you a hint, the answer has to do with two geometry principles and one science principle. I thought about writing a vague long winded description but the little voice inside my head said, 'no'. Why? Because I want some of your feedback. Can you give me an explanation as to why the kindling would start a fire easier as opposed to the log. Thanks, and happy thinking!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, interesting post here, Tad. I suppose the increased surface area plays a hand here. Something like why lots of crushed ice melt faster than a large ice cube.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dan, yeah surface area does play a role. I really like the analogy to crushed ice and block ice.

    ReplyDelete